Quantcast Michigan Journal
College Media Network

UM-D hockey beats Eastern Michigan

Kyle Schafer

Issue date: 2/16/10 Section: Sports
  • Print
  • Email
The wins just keep coming for the Michigan-Dearborn hockey team as they extended their winning streak to six games last weekend, with a pair of wins over rival Eastern Michigan.

The crowd amassed in Romulus for the kickoff of the final regular season series of the season. The Wolf Pack even commissioned a bus take the cheering section out to the game. At the Peak at Summit Academy, the #16 Michigan-Dearborn Wolves faced off against the unranked Eastern Michigan Eagles. On paper, it should have been a one-sided weekend. But, as is usually the case in rivalry games, this would not be a cakewalk through the park.

Sophomore Matt McCaig started the scoring 3:23 into the first period after he got a feed from Assistant Captain Shawn Wilson, and put it behind Eastern starter, and Dearborn defector, Rob Cupit. The Wolves dominated play in the first period, but with under a minute to play EMU's Joe Petriches found the net behind Dearborn freshman standout Paul Petrous.

Back-and-forth play continued through the second period. With just over 5:15 to play, UM-D got a bevy of shots against Cupit and broke the deadlocked game when Mark Bekkala put in the goal that "Gentleman" John Vella couldn't. Vella and sophomore Kyle Papke assisted on the goal.

Senior Ryan Wrathell took a penalty for tripping moments later, and Eastern's Kevin Lapointe wasted no time in tying the game back up with a powerplay marker. It looked like a 2-2 tie going to the second intermission when inside the last two minutes the Dearborn offense erupted for two goals. Michael Macari scored with 1:54 left in the period with sophomores "Teddy" Lazorka and Bobby Steele assisting on the goal. Just 66 seconds later, it was Bekkala this time assisting on Papke's goal to put the Wolves up 4-2.

When Macari came out in the third period and scored another goal with 14:38 left to play, it looked like goodnight Irene, with Dearborn up 5-2. But, the Eagles fought their way back into the game. Midway through the third, Petriches got his second of the night, and with 5:18 to play, senior Ian Chornoby shrank the UM-Dearborn lead to one with a goal of his own. But, the Dearborn defense, along with Petrous shut the door, and closed the game out for the win.
Page 1 of 3 next >

Article Tools

Be the first to comment on this story

  • NOTE: Email address will not be published

Type your comment below (html not allowed)

  I understand posting spam or other comments that are unrelated to this article will cause my comment to be flagged for deletion and possibly cause my IP address to be permanently banned from this server.